Thursday, April 29, 2010

Initialed

Well I saw a scrap piece of wood in my shed and thought up a project all from materials on hand! I've been meaning to use these letters I bought and finally decided to do something with them. So here's the project, step by step:
Here's my scrap of wood
I sanded my piece, especially the edges that would touch a wall and the corners too
Modge Podge the front once the wood has been prepped
Then take your piece of paper (I used wrapping paper, but scrapbooking paper would work beautifully) and place over the first layer of Modge Podge. Smooth out as best as you can. Then apply Modge Podge to the top of the paper to seal and create a nice textured look/finish.
Next (if you want this distressed look) take acrylic craft paint and paint the edges of the wood and distress the top. There isn't really and right and wrong way to distress. Whatever looks good to you. Work on the look until you are happy with it.
A shot before I attach the Initial
Take your wooden letter/initial and put a couple of dabs of glue on the back. I used liquid nails because it was available and works VERY well. You do want the Letter to stay so use a glue strong enough to keep it in place.
A shot with the letter on the piece, slowly coming together.
I used these little hooks we had in a picture hanging kit. They were perfect for this project!
I found some black ribbon and tied her up! I really love the raw edges on the ribbon too! I think I might accent this with some aqua ribbon on one side. Just to add a touch of color. After all you know where this baby is going... in my scrapbooking/craft room :))))

I love free projects. Ok but really it only costs me about $1.50 for the initial. I had all other materials on hand. Not bad, huh?

1 comment:

  1. oh that is sooo cute! i think i may just have to take that idea and make a bow holder for kathryn out of it...with her inital on it! i love it.

    ReplyDelete